Wednesday, January 03, 2007

2006 Recap

Okay, these goal recaps are usually a list of all my failures of the past year, and I'm left wondering why I put myself through the humiliation of posting to a large group of people all the things I've screwed up or was too lazy to do over the past year. Let's review, shall we?

1. Lose 30 lbs. I've had this on my list of goals for probably the last four years. I have failed every year. If you want to be a stickler, I have failed again. HOWEVER--I have lost 23 lbs this past year, and it's stayed off, which has never happened before. Since I lost 23 of the 30 lbs I wanted to lose in 2006, I am considering this 77% successful.

2. Run the Baltimore or NYC marathon. Pass. Ran Bawlmer on October 14, hon.

3. Incorporate weight training and yoga into my workout program. Another goal that's been on my list for who-knows-how- long. Another fail for 2006.

4. Get more, better-quality sleep. I still only sleep about five hours a night. I need at LEAST six to make it through the week. Fail.

5. Floss daily. Okay, admittedly, this is a "gimme" goal, seeing as how I am the Dental Floss Princess. I have been flossing daily for the past 10 years. It's a pass, but it will no longer show up on my yearly goal list because it's pretty much been a done deal for a decade.

6. Pay off one credit card. Pass. I paid it off, but then ran it back up. Fail. But I only ran it back up a quarter of the way, and it'll be paid off again by the end of January. Draw.

7. Read at least 12 books for pleasure. Pass. Just made it by finishing #12 Friday night. Normally I can plow through books like no one's business, but I picked a lot of wordy tomes (Outlander, at 627 wonderful, amazing pages) this year. And confusing novels with convoluted plots (One Hundred Years of Solitude) where I had to re-read a lot of stuff ("Wait a minute--I thought that guy was dead? Oh, okay, it's his illegitimate son who has almost the EXACT SAME NAME...Where' s the Tylenol?")

8. Get to 180 words per minute on the steno machine. Okay, in hindsight, this was a really really dumb goal. Especially considering I had just passed 60 wpm when I made it. Apparently I thought I was hot stuff on that keyboard and would just whiz right through. Not so much. However, I did pass 80 wpm and 100 wpm, which means I am at 120 wpm. So, while technically a failure, I am considering it a 60% success because I doubled my speed from a year ago.

9. Get divorced. Pass. The Marion County (IN) Superior Court officially dissolved the Great Debacle of 1998 (or, the Worst Idea EVER) in early April 2006. Yes, that was me doing back flips down the street.

So, really only two 'fails' (and one 'draw') out of nine. I guess 2006 was a pretty good year, the first good year I've had in a looooong time.

No comments: