Monday, June 26, 2006

Weird Day

Okay, first off, I forgot to change my alarm clock, so it was still on 8 AM from the weekend. I usually get up at 5 AM. My mom came in and woke me up at 6, a full hour late. I wasn't late for school, but I didn't have a chance to eat breakfast, so I grabbed a Balance bar on my way out the door.

Then I managed to drop and/or knock over pretty much everything I touched. I knocked over my steno machine TWICE. I knocked a stack of books off of my computer tower. No, they shouldn't have been there, but they were. And then they were on the floor.

Then, after lunch, I *attempted* to donate blood. So I sat in the little room at the back of the bloodmobile while the guy took my information and pricked my finger to test my iron. Surprisingly, it dropped, although it kind of hung around in the middle of the vial for a while. The supervisor for Florida Blood Services was there today, checking on the staff I guess, and she wanted me to do this thing where they hook you up to a machine that separates the components of your blood and then puts them back into you, except for the red blood cell platelets. As I was reading the paper on the procedure and the possible side effects, I suddenly became drenched in sweat and dizzy. Then I started hyperventilating. The guy who was with me said I had pretty much lost what little color I had (refer to any picture of me), so he ran out and got a couple of cold packs and put one around my neck and one on my forehead. He kept asking me questions, like, "Did you eat today? Are you maybe pregnant?" That last one made me giggle as I was trying not to vomit all over the little room. "NOT pregnant," I managed between wheezes. Although in my mind, I was rolling around on the floor laughing. Let's see, the LAST immaculate conception was, what, like 2000 years ago?? Sure, maybe humanity is ready for another. Anyway, after I stood up, I guess my color drained yet AGAIN, so they moved me out to the reclining seats and made me lay there with more cold packs on.

Anyhow, my reaction felt like the one and only anxiety attack I had had several years ago. So maybe it was the combination of little food, little sleep, and the weirdness of the procedure they wanted me to do. I don't know. I'm fine now, though. To supplement my blood sugar (that was my "official" explanation; I just wanted it...), I ate a Take 5 candy bar. My theory is those things are laced with crack, which is why you can't stop eating them once you start. Everybody I know who eats them feels the same ;)

So, that was my weird day. And I still have six hours to go. Lord only knows what will happen at work tonight. One thing I can tell you is I'm NOT going to be doing a whole lot. Oh, and I'm totally using this as an excuse to not clean the bathrooms--the story will be told for the sake of eliciting sympathy from my co-worker ;)

No comments: