Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Another exciting peek into my life....

First for my training last week: I got in a whopping 15 miles on the streets of my 'hood. Which is fine. I'm going for 20 this week. My "official" training for Baltimore starts on June 27th, so I'm just kinda ramping stuff up right now. I'm also going to start doing some weight training next week.

School stuff: I took a 100 word-per-minute literary speed test on Monday, and I was feeling quite good about it. Well, I missed passing by just SEVEN WORDS!! Which, really, is great. I have to pass a five-minute test with 95% accuracy, which means I can have 25 errors in my transcript. On the 100s I took last week, I had 93 errors on one (yes, I missed almost an entire minute of dictation....)and 57 on another. Hmmmm, consistent practice DOES pay off. Wish I had listened to everyone who told me that four years ago....

Work stuff: Work sucks. 'Nuff said. Seriously though, I usually only work two weeknights (usually 5.5 hours each) and one weekend day (7.5 - 8 hours). And I bitch and complain about every one of those hours ;) Anyway, one of the other front end supervisors took a vacation this week, so they had to fill her shifts. Now, there are only four of us, which is ridiculous by the way, so they gave Anne all the day shifts, plus her usual Friday night, and I got all but one of the night shifts, which gave me three weekday shifts. Poor Nikki got ONE shift. She asked if she could have my Thursday night. Ummmm, OKAY! It wouldn't be a big deal, but I get up at 5 AM every morning and have to drive into Tampa, which is about 40 miles from my house, to go to school. When I get home at 11 PM, it usually takes me a while to unwind, so by the time I shower, get into bed, and read a bit to relax, it's well after midnight. Causing the sleep deprivation that hits me like a ton of bricks every couple of months or so.

Tropical Storm Alberto: Was pretty weak. I worked Monday night, which is when the worst of it came through. We just stood and watched it pour buckets into the parking lot. During the dry spurts, the idiots came in to buy overpriced sheets and towels (which might have come in handy....)

No running or practicing steno tonight due to working at Death & Beyond. If anyone's in Port Richey this evening, drop in and say hi--I'll be the one trying to figure out how to hang myself using wooden hangers and a set of $100 sheets ;)

2 comments:

Nancy Toby said...

Watch that ramp-up!! Better to move up 10% per week, of course, and do every week without fail than do 20 miles and then a couple of zeroes because of injury! I'm just sayin'....

*jeanne* said...

Listen to Ms. Toby. She KNOWS her stuff.